The throne of David does exist on earth. To show where it is located today, let us consider the following facts:
(1) We are told that the scepter–a symbol of kingship, compare the margin in the New King James Bible–was given to Judah.
Genesis 49:10: “The scepter shall not depart from Judah… Until Shiloh [the Messiah, Jesus Christ] comes.”
(2) We are told that David’s “seed” or descendants would rule or have dominion over Israel. This could be fulfilled in ANY of the tribes of “Israel”–the name given to Jacob by God (Compare Genesis 32:28; 35:10). We are specifically told that God would establish the throne of David’s kingdom forever over Israel, in his son Solomon.
2 Samuel 7:12-13: “…I will set up your [David’s] seed after you, who will come from your body… and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever.”
2 Chronicles 13:5: “…the LORD God of Israel gave the dominion over Israel to David forever, to him and his sons…”
Psalm 89:4: “Your seed [David’s seed] I will establish forever, And build up your throne to all generations.”
(3) When Christ returns, He will take over and sit down on an existing throne of David, here on earth (compare Luke 1:32).
(4) Until the last King of Judah, Zedekiah, the descendants of David ruled as kings over the house of Judah. The house of Judah consisted of the tribes of Judah, Levi and a part of Benjamin–they are the “Jews” and called “Jews” in the Bible.
(5) But the Babylonians killed all the sons of Zedekiah, and placed Zedekiah into captivity. There has never arisen since then a descendant of David to rule as king over the house of Judah, the Jews. Today, the state of Israel is not ruled by a king. Where, then, is the throne of David today? In which country do we find a descendant of David ruling as king?
(6) The prophet Jeremiah lived at the time when the Babylonians enslaved the house of Judah, and when the last king of the house of Judah, King Zedekiah, was captured. God gave Jeremiah the commission to uproot the throne of David, but also to plant it.
Jeremiah 1:10: “I have this day set you over the nations and over the kingdoms, To root out and to pull down, To destroy and to throw down, To build and to plant.”
(7) God gave Jeremiah a prophecy regarding the kingship or throne of David, which was to be transferred from the nation or house of Judah to the house of Israel. [The house of Israel, the “Northern Kingdom,” consisted of descendants from the other sons of Israel or Jacob, including Joseph and his sons, Ephraim and Manasseh. It had been taken into captivity by the Assyrians more than 100 years prior to Jeremiah. They never returned to the Promised Land and have become known as the “Lost Ten Tribes.”]
Jeremiah 33:17, 21, 26: “David shall never lack a man to sit on the throne of the house of Israel… he shall [always] have a son to reign on his throne… [David’s] descendants [will be] rulers over the descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.”
Jeremiah was to be instrumental in uprooting the throne over the house of Judah, and to plant it over the house of Israel. Before, it was said that David’s descendants were to rule over Israel [or Jacob; that is, ANY of the descendants of Jacob]. That INCLUDED the house of Judah, of course. But from the time of Jeremiah’s prophecy, David’s descendants were to rule over the HOUSE of Israel–which EXCLUDED the house of Judah.
Jeremiah “uprooted” the throne of David over the house of Judah by bringing the last remaining descendants of King Zedekiah–his DAUGHTERS[compare Jeremiah 43:6]–to IRELAND [where some of the “lost tribes” of the house of Israel had settled. For proof that the people of England, Scotland and Ireland are in fact descendants of the ancient house of Israel, please read our free booklet, “The Fall and Rise of Britain and America.”]
According to historical records of Ireland, one daughter, Tea, married the Irish king–who was a descendant of Judah, but not of David. In this way, through the son of the king and the daughter of Zedekiah, Jeremiah “planted” the throne of David and the scepter of Judah over a tribe of the house of ISRAEL–in Ireland. The historical records confirm that subsequent kings of Ireland KNEW that they were descendants of King David.
Zedekiah’s other daughter, Scota, married into a noble family and gave the name Scotland to the land where they settled.
(8) The throne of David was to be transferred three times, before Christ would return to occupy it.
Ezekiel 21:27: “Overthrown, overthrown, I will make it [the crown, compare verse 26] overthrown!”
The crown or throne of David was overthrown first in Judah and transferred to or planted in Ireland.
(9) The throne or rule of David’s descendants was later overthrown in Ireland and transferred to Scotland [where some of the tribes of the house of Israel had settled]. It was transferred to the royal house of the descendants of David in Scotland–to the offspring of Scota, the other daughter of Zedekiah.
(10) Thirdly, it was overthrown in Scotland and transferred to England, where the Stewart line of David had settled around 1600, in the person of James I. Also, descendants of Ephraim and Manasseh, the sons of Joseph, had settled there. The subsequent royal rulers in England all descended from King David, and so the throne of David is today in England. Queen Elizabeth sits on that throne, and Prince Charles’ firstborn son is expected to sit on it soon.
Nowhere else could the existing throne of David be today, but in England. It is not in the state of Israel [which is part of the house of Judah], and it is not vacant, either. Jesus Christ will occupy it when He returns (Compare Luke 1:32; Isaiah 9:6-7); He has not occupied it so far. And it is a throne here on earth–not somewhere in heaven. Christ, from the house of Judah, will come back to this EARTH, and it says that He will then SIT on the throne of His father David, here on earth. Jesus will once again establish rule over Israel in Jerusalem (Compare Zechariah 1:17; 2:12). Remember, the scepter would not depart from Judah.
Lead Writer: Norbert Link